Tuesday, August 28, 2007

How Shall We Teach Them (and Us) Not to Tiptoe?

When I went out for a walk this morning with Chase and saw the first fallen maple leaves lying on the grass, it hit me that summer is really coming to a close. It finds me right in the middle of seriously revamping my classes at Mercy and writing church school curriculum for the kids at South. As I do so, I'm trying to keep this quote from Shane Claiborne's The Irresistible Revolution in mind:

“I am convinced that if we lose kids to the culture of drugs and materialism, of violence and war, it’s because we don’t dare them, not because we don’t entertain them. It’s because we make the gospel too easy, not because we make it too difficult. Kids want to do something heroic with their lives, which is why they play video games and join the army. But what are they to do with a church that teaches them to tiptoe through life so they can arrive safely at death?”

No comments: