Thursday, August 23, 2007

Don't Bother Me Mom

This morning I finished Marc Prensky's Don't Bother Me Mom- I'm Learinng, a book that was recommended reading on several tech in education sites. From the sites, I had the sense that it was going to be an eye-opening book that would cover creative ways to use videogames, cell phones, and other computer applications to deepen learning. I was deeply disappointed. The book was a very light read with what seemed to be only one basic message: people are making decisions, acting creatively, and learning various skills while playing well-constructed computer games. Perhaps if a book with this message had been written in the early 90's, I'd understand why if was published, but this was a book written last year and there's not much more to it than that basic message. On top of that several of the games listed in the book are no longer being produced and at least one of the major websites Prensky recommends no longer exists. As I put the book down I thought, what a wasted $14 for a book not worth reading, much less putting on my book shelf.

No comments: