Thursday, January 17, 2008

When It's Over

I've spent most of the afternoon working on a memorial service for a couple who were married for more than 50 years and then died within 9 hours of each other (without being aware that the other spouse had died). They were the parents of someone who was in my class when we were in junior high, so I only knew them briefly and in a very general way.
As I've been writing for their service, I keep having the following words from Mary Oliver echo through my head:

"When it’s over, I want to say: all my life

I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.

When it’s over, I don’t want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don’t want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.

I don’t want to end up simply having visited this world."

No comments: